What I offer are not The Ten Commandments for Church Failure, but indeed if your church leadership “religiously” does the ten things herein, your church will fail. In fact if your church does just one or two of these commandments, your church will most likely close her doors for the last time–before Jesus returns. I recently read Donald R. Keough’s book The Ten Commandments for Business Failure, and was impressed to write a series of blogs on the subject as related to churches. Some of the genres the Simple Discipleship blog deals with are church organizational development, change management, and leadership, each of which are concerned with doing things well, but most of all, doing the right things well. We are discussing church leadership issues, and as such, the Holy Spirit must be the beginning and end of the equation of the choices of leadership strategy.
Volumes of secular and faith-based books discuss leadership, and yet we see leaders and their organizations fail. There have never existed more resources to develop leaders, but if it is not applied, then all the materials are essentially worthless. Many have wondered at the simplicity of the Decalogue, yet God summed up all of the Law, the prophets, and the two Great Commandments in ten well-chosen imperatives. If we obeyed God’s Ten Commandments, the world would be a better place—perhaps heaven on earth. Perhaps these Ten Commandments for Church Failure, which I offer below, include some grains of common sense and spiritual truth:
- Thou shalt not take risks.
- Thou shalt not change anything.
- Thou shalt not be open and available to all people.
- Thou shalt not admit mistakes.
- Thou shalt not be accountable.
- Thou shalt not take time to pray.
- Thou shalt put all thy faith in every “new thing” that appears to work in another church.
- Thou shalt love thy bureaucracy.
- Thou shalt not communicate expectations clearly.
- Thou shalt fear the future.
Like Keough, I am adding an eleventh commandment for church failure: 11. Thou shalt lose thy passion for Christ, the lost, growing in Christ, and ministry of excellence.
I am certain that each reader will improve the list of commandments because these are not infallible. Someone once said, “Management is about doing things right, but leaders are concerned about doing the right things.” My goal is to motivate readers and leaders to think anew of the potential of churches doing the right things well to the glory of God.
Dr. Tom Cocklereece
This post has already been read 1469 times!
We honor copyright laws on print material as well as photos. We take or make many of our own photos and buy some as well. We never use images from others that have copyright markings. We remove any material or photo that is questioned as soon as we become aware of it. If you believe we have posted copyrighted material please inform us and we will evaluate it: tom@simplediscipleship.
The Leadership Chair
Follow Simple Discipleship
THE LAWS OF DISCIPLESHIP
THE LAWS OF DISCIPLESHIP PROJECTBe a part of The Laws of Discipleship Project! Each law of discipleship reflects the light of Christ like a facet of a diamond. Tom Cocklereece is currently writing the manuscript for this upcoming discipleship resource. You are invited to participate. If you are interested, email tom@ simplediscipleship.com
Disciple-Maker’s Toolkit- Leader & Learner Editions
Free Discipleship Plan pdf
Ministry Leadership Ad
SD Online Guests
Most Read Posts
- NAME YOUR GREMLIN: Denial (37,291)
- ARE WE “SLAVES” OR “SERVANTS” OF CHRIST? A DISCUSSION ABOUT BIBLE TRANSLATION AND THE HCSB (35,484)
- Diabesity - A Reversible Epidemic: Guest Blog by Mark Hyman, MD for RENEW WELLNESS (14,123)
- 6 REASONS TO MONITOR YOUR BLOOD SUGAR: A RENEW Wellness Diabetes Testimony (7,404)
- THE RED PILL OR THE BLUE PILL? (6,318)
- GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY! (5,819)
- DISCIPLESHIP BEST PRACTICES: #13 – PROCESS DISCIPLESHIP (5,449)
- MAKE YOUR OWN "MINISTRY COMPETENCY WORD CLOUD" (5,009)
- EXPONENTIAL 2012: ARE YOU BEING SIFTED? (4,818)
- 11 WAYS A STAFF CHRISTIAN COACH CAN GROW YOUR CHURCH (4,814)
- VISION IS VIRAL BUT STRATEGY IS STATIC (4,484)
- SO, YOUR CHURCH IS SEARCHING FOR A PASTOR (4,157)
- DISCIPLESHIP BEST PRACTICES: 7- PROGRAM DISCIPLESHIP (4,096)
- WHY DON’T SMART PEOPLE GET JESUS? (REMIX) Guest Post by Rachael Fox (3,810)
- BASIC CHRISTIAN COMPETENCIES (3,787)
- NAME YOUR GREMLIN: Scaredy Gremlin (3,652)
- WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF DISCIPLESHIP? (3,559)
- FIVE ELEMENTS OF A BOOK REVIEW (3,449)
- THE LAWS OF DISCIPLESHIP PROJECT (3,347)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL THAT REALLY RESPONDS by Steve Parr: AN UNSOLICITED REVIEW (3,344)
- EVERY CHRISTIAN A DISCIPLE-MAKER (3,245)
- WHY EVANGELISM ISN’T WORKING (3,217)
- SECRET CHURCH REFLECTIONS (3,155)
- COUNTER-CULTURAL CHRISTIANITY: THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE (2,978)
- BREAKING THE EVANGELISM CODE by Victor H. Benavides (2,907)
- A SANCTITY OF HUMAN LIFE LESSON (2,895)
- THE DARK KNIGHT vs THE BRIGHT KNIGHT (2,823)
- SIMPLE DISCIPLESHIP AND SPIRITUAL GIFTS (2,821)
- SO, YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR A NEW CHURCH OR MINISTRY (2,703)
- A JOURNEY TO THE DARK SIDE (2,618)
- A 10-POINT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT PROCESS (2,578)
- DISCIPLESHIP BEST PRACTICES: #11 – PROFICIENCY DISCIPLESHIP (2,572)
- GREMLINS AND GUARDIANS – STAY ON THE RIGHT PATH (2,521)
- RUB A DUB DUB, PLUNGE AND SCRUB (2,517)
- HOW TO GET RID OF YOUR GREMLINS: Blamer (2,405)
- ONLINE MASTERMIND: DISCIPLESHIP BEST PRACTICES (2,302)
- PREVENTING SEXUAL ABUSE IN THE CHURCH (2,270)
- NAME YOUR GREMLIN: PRIDE AND ARROGANCE (2,232)
- TRANSFORMATIONAL LOVE: 1 CORINTHIANS 13 (2,188)
- PREPARE FOR DEFINING MOMENTS (2,174)
- DISCIPLESHIP IS CHRISTIAN CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT (2,116)
- 30 Coaching Questions to Create your Ministry Leadership Development Plan (2,063)
- THE FIVE MISSIONAL MOVEMENTS OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS (2,031)
- MINISTRY COMPETENCY LEADERSHIP COACHING (2,019)
- MISCONCEPTIONS OF LEADERSHIP (1,954)
- THE IMPACT OF SIMPLE DISCIPLESHIP (1,926)
- LIVING THE DREAM OF DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. (1,798)
- TRANSFORMATIONAL DISCIPLESHIP: A REVIEW (1,792)
- BORN INTO WAR: SPIRITUAL WARFARE AND DISCIPLESHIP (1,777)
- ANYONE CAN BE A SERVANT OF GOD (1,714)